“Car Free Day is a free international event celebrated every September 22 in which people are encouraged to get around without driving alone in cars and instead ride a train, bus, bicycle, carpool, vanpool, subway, or walk. For those that have the ability to work from home, telework also counts. Car Free Day is open to all people in the Washington metropolitan area.”
Go car free for Metro DC’s “Drop It For a Day” Event this Saturday, September 21st through Monday, September 23rd and be entered to win fun prizes! Whether it be by bus, train, carpool/vanpool, biking or walking, commit yourself to dropping your keys for a weekend and help create clean air for our region. Not sure where to find a ride this weekend? Fill out our form to get matched with your perfect ride!
If you are already in a carpool, vanpool or another single-occupancy vehicle alternative, you can still fill out a pledge to get free perks and prizes. All who take the Car Free Day pledge will receive a $30 Nift Gift (neighborhood gift), a gift card app with $30 credit. Get 200 free incenTrip rewards points when you take the free “Car Free Day” pledge and use incenTrip to record your trip during Car Free Days, Sept 21-23. Redeem points for cash! Download incenTrip from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Bonus points will be added to your incenTrip account shortly after September 23, 2019. Be sure to use the same email when taking the Car Free Day pledge and setting up your incenTrip account.
2019 Raffle Prizes
- D.C. United Pair of Tickets, courtesy D.C. United
- Newseum Pair of Tickets, courtesy Freedom Forum Institute
- Capital Bikeshare annual memberships, courtesy goDCgo
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A, courtesy Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland
- KIND Healthy Snacks gift bag, courtesy KIND, #bekindtoyourself
- SmarTrip cards with $25 in fare, courtesy Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Free T-shirt and annual membership, courtesy East Coast Greenway Alliance
- Grocery Store gift cards of $25 value, courtesy Giant Food
- Pair of single ride tickets, courtesy VRE
- Annual memberships, courtesy Washington Area Bicyclist Association
- A free crepe of your choice, courtesy Crepeaway
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon tickets for four, courtesy The Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association of the Union
- International Spy Museum pair of tickets, courtesy the International Spy Museum
- Nando’s PERi-PERi, Full Platter at DC, Maryland, or Virginia locations, courtesy Nando’s PERi-PERi
* When taking the pledge, please provide your full address to become eligible for a prize. You will not be placed onto a mailing list.
2019 Local County/City Car Free Day Promotions
- City of Fairfax CUE buses will offer FREE RIDES for everyone from September 16-23 for Try Transit Week and Car Free Days. CUE will award a City Swag Bag including a $50 SmarTrip card to a randomly selected local winner who takes the Car Free Day Pledge.
- Frederick County- TransIT Services of Frederick County will provide FREE rides on TransIT Connectors and Shuttles on Monday, September 23, 2019 for Car Free Days.
- Manassas – Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the Farmer’s Market (Prince William Commuter Lot across from Baldwin Elementary). Community Bike Ride 9:00 a.m., ride to & from the Farmer’s Market (meet at Colgan Hall, GMU Manassas campus, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for registration); Walking Tour 10:00 a.m. “Car Free Manassas in the 1900’s” (meet at the Car Free Day tent); check out the PRTC Bus and learn about car-free alternatives from our transportation partners. Take the free pledge at www.carfreemetrodc.org for a chance at winning great prizes! See Manassas Car Free Day flyer here.
- Montgomery County – Montgomery County Commuter Services staff will be at ten transit locations all around the county the morning of Friday, September 20, 2019 to promote Car Free Days, with giveaway items. See locations and times here.
- Southern Maryland – Visit the Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland at the Waldorf Farmer’s Market in Charles County during Car Free Days on Saturday, September 21, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m and receive free giveaways! The Farmer’s Market is located at 10385 O’Donnell Lake Place, Waldorf, MD.
Go Car Free or Car-Lite to these events occurring during Car Free Days September 21-23, 2019
- Walk & Ride – September 9-27, 2019
- Great Frederick Fair – September 13—Sept 21, 2019
- PARK(ing) Day – September 2019
- WalkingTownDC – Sept 14-22, 2019
- Try Transit Week – September 16 – 20, 2019
- Car Free Day – September 21—Sept 23, 2019
- Clarendon Day – September 21, 2019
More than 3,700 people have already pledged to go car free in methods ranging from teleworking to running/walking to work.
Take the free pledge now!
Telework/Co-working/Shared Workspaces – Available technology allows employees to transparently perform their duties outside the traditional workplace. Ask your supervisor if you can telework on Car Free Day.
Bicycling – Bicycling is a healthy, quiet, clean, economical, and fun way to get to where you need to go. Thousands of DC area residents, employees, and students travel by bicycle every day for work, play, school, errand, etc. Visit Washington Area Bicyclist Association, Capital Bikeshare, and Bike & Roll for more information on getting started.
Rail – Get around the region on rails via the Metrorail subway system or the commuter trains – MARC or VRE.
Walking – Walking is a great way to and burn calories instead of burning gas! Visit Map my Walk to find printable walking maps of any city.
Ridesharing – Go “car-lite” by joining a carpool or vanpool for Car Free Day! Visit Commuter Connections to find rideshare partners for commuting or special events. Download the CarpoolNow app for on-demand carpooling services and start connecting in real time to others who want to share a ride.
Bus -Travel around the District, northern Virginia and suburban Maryland without the hassles of traffic, parking or the expense of gas. Options include Metrobus plus local bus systems throughout the region.