COVID-19 Closures and Service Changes
Latest COVID-19 Transit Updates-
Metro Platform Improvement Project
Greenbelt, College Park-U of Md, Prince George’s Plaza and West Hyattsville stations are now open and Yellow Line service has returned between Mt. Vernon Square and Greenbelt. With the reopening of these four stations, the Platform Improvement Project is nearly complete with only three stations remaining to be reconstructed during summer 2022.
Buses & Trains
- FREDericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) – provides local public transportation throughout the region daily. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) feeder bus service is provided by FRED from various commuter lots. Contact 540-372-1222 for specific information. FRED bus has a new route that services the Spotsylvania VRE station! Click the map for details on the route. Click here for a free ride coupon!
- OmniRide is PRTC’s commuter bus service. It is a comfortable and efficient commuter bus service from eastern Prince William County and the Manassas area to downtown Washington, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn/Ballston, Capitol Hill and the Washington Navy Yard.
- Virginia Railway Express – Connects northern Virginia and Washington D.C. with commuter rail service on two lines, one from Fredericksburg and one from Manassas.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – A regional bus and rail public transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, operating in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.
- Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) is a local transit service in the Richmond area, with 34 local routes; 10 express routes; 1 rapid transit line called Pulse. GRTC Pulse is a modern, high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that serves a 7.6-mile route along Broad Street and Main Street, from Rocketts Landing in the City of Richmond to Willow Lawn in Henrico County.
- Amtrak – America’s passenger rail system. Route, schedule, fare and other information is available from its website.
BWI, Dulles, Reagan and Richmond Airport Services
The following companies provide transportation service to one or more of the area airports. Some also provide service to Union Station.
- AA Lightfoot Transportation, Inc. – Call Tom Lightfoot at 540-829-0997 or visit www.lightfootlimo.com
- Belman Limousine – Call 540-899-5466 or visit www.fredericksburgairportshuttle.com
- Freddy Go2 Airports, LLC – Call 571-260-5411 or 866-677-6643 or visit www.freddygo2airports.com
- Fredericksburg Limousine – Call 888-565-3262 or visit www.fredericksburglimo.com
- ABC Limousine & Car Service – Call 703-941-4900 or visit www.limowashington.com
- Tangier Transportation & Service, LLC – Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call 703-474-2170 or visit www.tangiertransportation.com.
- Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour – Call 703-441-9999 or visit chopchopshuttleandtour.com
Door to Door Options
Provides transportation to seniors and disabled persons throughout the localities of Caroline, Fredericksburg, King George, Spotsylvania, and Stafford. Call 540-656-2985 for more information.
Taxi Cabs and TNC’s
Taxi companies, traditionally provide door to door transportation. Today, the taxi industry is changing and many companies are offering services such as airport shuttle and package delivery service. Check out the list below to find a company that meets your needs.
- Aero Cab – http://callaerocab.com/ – 540-845-5533
- Gary’s Taxi Service and Transport – http://www.taxicabfredericksburg.com/ – 540-981-6555
- Global Cab – http://global-cab.com/ – 540-657-2227
- Yellow Cab of Fredericksburg – http://www.fredericksburgtaxicab.com/home – 540-371-8294
- Supreme Taxi Service – 703-257-9734
- Hilldrup Taxi Cab Service – http://www.fredtaxicab.com/index.php – 540-371-8294
Transportation Network Companies or TNCs provide door to door transportation furnished by private drivers using smart phone applications. Two popular companies in our region are Lyft and Uber. Download the Lyft and Uber Apps to your iPhone or Android smart phone to start riding today. Payment is easy with a credit card or PayPal account.
Never used a TNC before? Check out these tutorials to learn how:
Want to ride with your pet? Need to go on a long trip? Wondering who pays the toll? Check out the guidelines in the Uber Guide.
Virginia Bicycle Map – For information on bike trails and facilities across Virginia. If you would like to get a paper copy of the map contact GWRideConnect at 540-373-7665. For more information on biking and walking trails in Virginia, visit VDOT at http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/bikeped/maps.asp.
Bikes on Transit
Commuting with your bike?
FRED Buses are ready for you and your bike!
All FRED buses are equipped with bike racks on the front of the bus, which makes traveling with your bike on FRED easy and convenient.
VRE’s onboard bicycle policy
Collapsible bikes are permitted on all VRE trains and on all cars. Full-size bikes are permitted on some trains. Please review the complete bicycle policy here.