Metro Improvement Projects
Potomac Yard Station & Yellow Line Tunnel and Bridge Rehab
Yellow Line Tunnel and Bridge Rehab, Project Update Sept. 29, 2022: Metro is extending the closure of six stations south of Reagan National Airport due to unexpected site conditions and remediation efforts for the future Potomac Yard Station. Work to tie-in new tracks to the station, which was slated to conclude on Saturday, Oct. 22, will now end on Saturday, Nov. 5. Free shuttle bus service will continue to be available to customers through the extension. Read the press release.
This work will require a shutdown between Pentagon and L’Enfant Plaza stations, closing the Yellow Line crossing of the Potomac River for seven to eight months. During that time, crews will rehabilitate the Yellow Line Bridge spanning the Potomac River and repair the steel lined tunnels between Pentagon and L’Enfant Plaza stations, both of which date to original construction more than 40 years ago. Exact service plans will be released later this year as construction plans are finalized.
The Silver Line Extension is Opening November 15th!!
The Silver Line Extension will open for customers on Tuesday, November 15. The Extension brings the Metrorail system into Loudoun County, Virginia, providing 11.4 miles of new track from the current terminus station at Wiehle-Reston East, stopping at Washington Dulles International Airport, and into Loudoun County. It includes six new Metrorail stations (Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway, and Ashburn).
Meet your new Silver Line Extension stations!
Coming soon! Metro invites you for a virtual sneak peek of the six new Silver Line Stations: Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway, and Ashburn. See what awaits you at each station, from the fare gates to the platforms. Metro Board Member Matt Letourneau kicks off the virtual tour series with a welcome message filmed at Ashburn’s station, and the Dulles station video shows riders how easy it is to connect from plane to train!
WMATA has a new map. Click for PDF version of Metro system map effective Sept. 10 – Oct. 22, 2022 This updated map lists new stations and new names for some existing stations.
New Silver Line stations: Reston Town Center, Herndon, Innovation Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Loudoun Gateway and Ashburn. (In purple box above)
New station names: Downtown Largo (Largo Town Center), Hyattsville Crossing (Prince George’s Plaza), North Bethesda (White Flint), Tysons (Tysons Corner), and West Falls Church-VT removing UVA from the secondary name. (Underlined in purple above)
Also on the new map: Potomac Yard Station is shown as a future station. (Boxed in above)
Buses & Trains
FREDericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) – provides daily local public transportation throughout the City of Fredericksburg, Stafford County, and Spotsylvania County. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) feeder bus service is provided by FRED from various commuter lots.
The FRED bus Fare Free Program:
• The fare-free program begins on Monday, February 28, 2022
• All FRED routes are going fare-free
• The program is funded by Department of Rail and Public Transportation through the Transit Ridership Incentive Program, support from localities, and other grants
• The program is expected to run through March 1, 2023. It will be reviewed to determine ongoing viability.
- OmniRide is PRTC’s commuter bus service. It is a comfortable and efficient commuter bus service from eastern Prince William County and the Manassas area to downtown Washington, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn/Ballston, Capitol Hill and the Washington Navy Yard.
- Virginia Railway Express – Connects northern Virginia and Washington D.C. with commuter rail service on two lines, one from Fredericksburg and one from Manassas.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – A regional bus and rail public transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, operating in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.
- Metrorail System Map – Click tabs for bus or Metro map overlay or scroll down for maps in PDF format.
- Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) is a local transit service in the Richmond area, with 34 local routes; 10 express routes; 1 rapid transit line called Pulse. GRTC Pulse is a modern, high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that serves a 7.6-mile route along Broad Street and Main Street, from Rocketts Landing in the City of Richmond to Willow Lawn in Henrico County.
- Amtrak – America’s passenger rail system. Route, schedule, fare and other information is available from its website.
BWI, Dulles, Reagan and Richmond Airport Services
The following companies provide transportation service to one or more of the area airports. Some also provide service to Union Station.
- AA Lightfoot Transportation, Inc. – Call Tom Lightfoot at 540-829-0997 or visit www.lightfootlimo.com
- Belman Limousine – Call 540-899-5466 or visit www.fredericksburgairportshuttle.com
- Freddy Go2 Airports, LLC – Call 571-260-5411 or 866-677-6643 or visit www.freddygo2airports.com
- Fredericksburg Limousine – Call 888-565-3262 or visit www.fredericksburglimo.com
- ABC Limousine & Car Service – Call 703-941-4900 or visit www.limowashington.com
- Tangier Transportation & Service, LLC – Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call 703-474-2170 or visit www.tangiertransportation.com.
- Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour – Call 703-441-9999 or visit chopchopshuttleandtour.com
Door to Door Options
A Program Provided by Healthy Generations Area Agency on Aging
Looking for transportation options as a senior or disabled person? Transportation resources may be available to help you maintain your independence. Mobility Options can assist you in finding alternatives that you may not have considered:
• Public Transportation
• Volunteer Transportation
• Private-Pay Paratransit
• Transportation Network Companies (Uber or Lyft)
“Whether you are simply looking for information and guidance, or assistance with identifying and
accessing transportation services within your local community, make Mobility Options your first call.”
Call 540-656-2985 for more information.
Taxi Cabs and TNC’s
Taxi companies, traditionally provide door to door transportation. Today, the taxi industry is changing and many companies are offering services such as airport shuttle and package delivery service. Check out the list below to find a company that meets your needs.
Never used a TNC before? Check out these tutorials to learn how:
Bikes on Transit
Commuting with your bike?
FRED Buses are ready for you and your bike!
All FRED buses are equipped with bike racks on the front of the bus, which makes traveling with your bike on FRED easy and convenient.
VRE’s onboard bicycle policy
Collapsible bikes are permitted on all VRE trains and on all cars. Full-size bikes are permitted on some trains. Please review the complete bicycle policy here.