Need a Ride? Ride United is Here to Help!
Rappahannock United Way is committed to reducing transportation barriers that prevent individuals and families from accessing healthcare, getting quality jobs, completing education programs, and more. Transportation has proven to be a key issue for many individuals seeking services to support pandemic recovery. Ride United now offers round-trip, on-demand Lyft rides to connect community members to services that are critical to pandemic recovery, including education, employment, health care, and more.
They can provide free rides (up to $25) each way ($50 total). Multiple requests can be made.
Request a Ride Here: Rappahannock United Way Transportation Assistance
REQUIREMENTS: Eligible Riders must be a resident of the Greater Fredericksburg Region, over 18 years of age, and have no other transportation options available. Requested rides must be at a reasonable distance, and riders must have a smartphone and an active Lyft account via the Lyft app
Metro Improvement Projects
Potomac Yard Station & Yellow Line Tunnel and Bridge Rehab
Potomac Yard Station, Sept. 10 – Oct. 22, 2022: Potomac Yard Station construction will require a six-week shutdown of rail service south of Washington National Airport station to build new tracks that “tie-in” the new station with the existing Metrorail system. Engineering, testing, and commissioning needed to integrate the track, power, communications and signal systems into the system will also be conducted during this time. This will be followed by additional testing and training to determine when service can begin.
Yellow Line Tunnel and Bridge Rehab, beginning Sept. 10, 2022: This work will require a shutdown between Pentagon and L’Enfant Plaza stations, closing the Yellow Line crossing of the Potomac River for seven to eight months. During that time, crews will rehabilitate the Yellow Line Bridge spanning the Potomac River and repair the steel lined tunnels between Pentagon and L’Enfant Plaza stations, both of which date to original construction more than 40 years ago. Exact service plans will be released later this year as construction plans are finalized.
Metro Platform Improvement Project
New Carrollton, Landover, Cheverly, Deanwood and Minnesota Avenue stations on the Orange Line will be closed from Saturday, May 28 through Monday, Sept. 5 for platform reconstruction and station modernization. During that time, Metro will provide free shuttle buses along three convenient routes and offer free customer parking at all closed stations.
Buses & Trains
FREDericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) – provides daily local public transportation throughout the City of Fredericksburg, Stafford County, and Spotsylvania County. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) feeder bus service is provided by FRED from various commuter lots.
The FRED bus Fare Free Program:
• The fare-free program begins on Monday, February 28, 2022
• All FRED routes are going fare-free
• The program is funded by Department of Rail and Public Transportation through the Transit Ridership Incentive Program, support from localities, and other grants
• The program is expected to run through March 1, 2023. It will be reviewed to determine ongoing viability.
- OmniRide is PRTC’s commuter bus service. It is a comfortable and efficient commuter bus service from eastern Prince William County and the Manassas area to downtown Washington, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn/Ballston, Capitol Hill and the Washington Navy Yard.
- Virginia Railway Express – Connects northern Virginia and Washington D.C. with commuter rail service on two lines, one from Fredericksburg and one from Manassas.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – A regional bus and rail public transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, operating in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.
- Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) is a local transit service in the Richmond area, with 34 local routes; 10 express routes; 1 rapid transit line called Pulse. GRTC Pulse is a modern, high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that serves a 7.6-mile route along Broad Street and Main Street, from Rocketts Landing in the City of Richmond to Willow Lawn in Henrico County.
- Amtrak – America’s passenger rail system. Route, schedule, fare and other information is available from its website.
BWI, Dulles, Reagan and Richmond Airport Services
- AA Lightfoot Transportation, Inc. – Call Tom Lightfoot at 540-829-0997 or visit www.lightfootlimo.com
- Belman Limousine – Call 540-899-5466 or visit www.fredericksburgairportshuttle.com
- Freddy Go2 Airports, LLC – Call 571-260-5411 or 866-677-6643 or visit www.freddygo2airports.com
- Fredericksburg Limousine – Call 888-565-3262 or visit www.fredericksburglimo.com
- ABC Limousine & Car Service – Call 703-941-4900 or visit www.limowashington.com
- Tangier Transportation & Service, LLC – Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call 703-474-2170 or visit www.tangiertransportation.com.
- Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour – Call 703-441-9999 or visit chopchopshuttleandtour.com
Door to Door Options
A Program Provided by Healthy Generations Area Agency on Aging
Looking for transportation options as a senior or disabled person? Transportation resources may be available to help you maintain your independence. Mobility Options can assist you in finding alternatives that you may not have considered:
• Public Transportation
• Volunteer Transportation
• Private-Pay Paratransit
• Transportation Network Companies (Uber or Lyft)
“Whether you are simply looking for information and guidance, or assistance with identifying and
accessing transportation services within your local community, make Mobility Options your first call.”
Call 540-656-2985 for more information.
Taxi Cabs and TNC’s
Taxi companies, traditionally provide door to door transportation. Today, the taxi industry is changing and many companies are offering services such as airport shuttle and package delivery service. Check out the list below to find a company that meets your needs.
- Aero Cab – http://callaerocab.com/ – 540-845-5533
- Gary’s Taxi Service and Transport – http://www.taxicabfredericksburg.com/ – 540-981-6555
- Global Cab – http://global-cab.com/ – 540-657-2227
- Yellow Cab of Fredericksburg – http://www.fredericksburgtaxicab.com/home – 540-371-8294
- Supreme Taxi Service – 703-257-9734
- Hilldrup Taxi Cab Service – http://www.fredtaxicab.com/index.php – 540-371-8294
Never used a TNC before? Check out these tutorials to learn how:
Bikes on Transit
Commuting with your bike?
All FRED buses are equipped with bike racks on the front of the bus, which makes traveling with your bike on FRED easy and convenient.
VRE’s onboard bicycle policy
Collapsible bikes are permitted on all VRE trains and on all cars. Full-size bikes are permitted on some trains. Please review the complete bicycle policy here.