Need a Ride? Ride United is Here to Help!
Rappahannock United Way is committed to reducing transportation barriers that prevent individuals and families from accessing healthcare, getting quality jobs, completing education programs, and more. Transportation has proven to be a key issue for many individuals seeking services to support pandemic recovery. Ride United now offers round-trip, on-demand Lyft rides to connect community members to services that are critical to pandemic recovery, including education, employment, health care, and more.
They can provide free rides (up to $25) each way ($50 total). Multiple requests can be made.
Request a Ride Here: Rappahannock United Way Transportation Assistance
REQUIREMENTS: Eligible Riders must be a resident of the Greater Fredericksburg Region, over 18 years of age, and have no other transportation options available. Requested rides must be at a reasonable distance, and riders must have a smartphone and an active Lyft account via the Lyft app
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (MWATA)
Metrorail provides safe, clean, reliable transit service for more than 600,000 customers a day throughout the Washington, DC area. The Metrorail system has six color-coded rail lines: Red, Orange, Silver, Blue, Yellow, and Green. The layout of the system makes it possible to travel between any two stations with no more than a single transfer.
Use MWMATA’s Trip planner to discover the best transit route and what the fare will be.
Look for tall brown columns with a large “M” identifying the station entrances. Colored stripes around the column show which lines serve the station.
Buses & Trains
FXBGO-Fredricksburg Regional Transit– provides daily local public transportation throughout the City of Fredericksburg, Stafford County, and Spotsylvania County. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) feeder bus service is provided by FRED from various commuter lots.
The FRED bus Fare Free Program:
• The fare-free program began on February 28, 2022
• All FRED routes are fare-free.
• The Department of Rail and Public Transportation funds the program through the Transit Ridership Incentive Program, support from localities, and other grants. It will be reviewed annually to determine it’s viability.
- OmniRide is PRTC’s commuter bus service. It is a comfortable and efficient commuter bus service from eastern Prince William County and the Manassas area to downtown Washington, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn/Ballston, Capitol Hill and the Washington Navy Yard.
- Virginia Railway Express – Connects northern Virginia and Washington D.C. with commuter rail service on two lines, one from Fredericksburg and one from Manassas.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – A regional bus and rail public transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, operating in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.
- Metrorail System Map – Click tabs for bus or Metro map overlay or scroll down for maps in PDF format.
- Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) is a local transit service in the Richmond area, with 34 local routes; 10 express routes; 1 rapid transit line called Pulse. GRTC Pulse is a modern, high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that serves a 7.6-mile route along Broad Street and Main Street, from Rocketts Landing in the City of Richmond to Willow Lawn in Henrico County.
- Amtrak – America’s passenger rail system. Route, schedule, fare and other information is available from its website.
BWI, Dulles, Reagan and Richmond Airport Services
The following companies provide transportation services to one or more of the area airports. Several will also provide service to Union Station.
- AA Lightfoot Transportation, Inc. – Call Tom Lightfoot at 540-829-0997 or visit www.lightfootlimo.com
- Belman Limousine – Call 540-899-5466 or visit www.fredericksburgairportshuttle.com
- Freddy Go2 Airports, LLC – Call 571-260-5411 or 866-677-6643 or visit www.freddygo2airports.com
- Fredericksburg Limousine – Call 888-565-3262 or visit www.fredericksburglimo.com
- ABC Limousine & Car Service – Call 703-941-4900 or visit www.limowashington.com
- Tangier Transportation & Service, LLC – Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call 703-474-2170 or visit www.tangiertransportation.com.
- Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour – Call 703-441-9999 or visit chopchopshuttle.com.
Door to Door Options
A Program Provided by Healthy Generations Area Agency on Aging
Looking for transportation options as a senior or disabled person? Transportation resources may be available to help you maintain your independence. Mobility Options can assist you in finding alternatives that you may not have considered:
• Public Transportation
• Volunteer Transportation
• Private-Pay Paratransit
• Transportation Network Companies (Uber or Lyft)
“Whether you are simply looking for information and guidance, or assistance with identifying and
accessing transportation services within your local community, make Mobility Options your first call.”
Call 540-656-2985 for more information.
Taxi Cabs and TNC’s
Taxi companies, traditionally provide door to door transportation. Today, the taxi industry is changing and many companies are offering services such as airport shuttle and package delivery service. Check out the list below to find a company that meets your needs.
Never used a TNC before? Check out these tutorials to learn how:
Bikes on Transit
Commuting with your bike?
FRED Buses are ready for you and your bike!
All FRED buses are equipped with bike racks on the front of the bus, which makes traveling with your bike on FRED easy and convenient.
VRE’s onboard bicycle policy
Collapsible bikes are permitted on all VRE trains and on all cars. Full-size bikes are permitted on some trains. Please review the complete bicycle policy here.