Need a Ride? Ride United is Here to Help!
Rappahannock United Way is committed to reducing transportation barriers that prevent individuals and families from accessing healthcare, getting quality jobs, completing education programs, and more. Transportation has proven to be a key issue for many individuals seeking services to support pandemic recovery. Ride United now offers round-trip, on-demand Lyft rides to connect community members to services that are critical to pandemic recovery, including education, employment, health care, and more.
They can provide free rides (up to $25) each way ($50 total). Multiple requests can be made.
Request a Ride Here: Rappahannock United Way Transportation Assistance
Information Flyer in English
Folleto Informativo en Español
REQUIREMENTS: Eligible Riders must be a resident of the Greater Fredericksburg Region, over 18 years of age, and have no other transportation options available. Requested rides must be at a reasonable distance, and riders must have a smartphone and an active Lyft account via the Lyft app
If you do not have the Lyft app you can sign-up here: www.lyft.com/rider/cities/fredericksburg-va
If you want to get a fare estimate for your ride before you go: www.lyft.com/rider/fare-estimate
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (MWATA)
Metrorail provides safe, clean, reliable transit service for more than 600,000 customers a day throughout the Washington, DC area. The Metrorail system has six color-coded rail lines: Red, Orange, Silver, Blue, Yellow, and Green. The layout of the system makes it possible to travel between any two stations with no more than a single transfer.
Use MWMATA’s Trip planner to discover the best transit route and what the fare will be.
Look for tall brown columns with a large “M” identifying the station entrances. Colored stripes around the column show which lines serve the station.
The SmarTrip® card is a permanent, rechargeable farecard that is safe and easy to use. There are three ways to purchase a SmarTrip cards:
- Buy SmarTrip® cards online
- Buy at any Metrorail station
- Buy at many convenient locations.
PHASE TWO Yellow Construction: Nov. 6, 2022 – May 2023
- All stations will reopen, and service will resume south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station
- Yellow Line stations will be served by the Blue or Green lines
- Blue Line trains will operate every 15 minutes between Downtown Largo and Franconia-Springfield stations and every 15 minutes between Huntington and New Carrollton stations (Blue Plus) (every 15 minutes after 9:30 p.m.)
- Green Line trains will operate every eight minutes (every 10 minutes after 9:30 p.m.)
Free Shuttle Service:
Metro will continue to provide three limited-stop shuttles crossing the Potomac River during weekday rush hours only.
- VA-DC Shuttle 1: Crystal City-L’Enfant (6:20 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. and 3:20 p.m. – 8:10 p.m.)
Service between Crystal City, Pentagon City, Smithsonian, and L’Enfant Plaza stations every 12 minutes. Shuttle does not stop at Pentagon Station
- VA-DC Shuttle 2: Pentagon-Archives (6:20 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. and 3:20 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.)
Service between Pentagon, Smithsonian, Archives, & 11th & F Streets NW (near Metro Center) every 12 minutes.
- VA-DC Shuttle 3: Mt. Vernon-Potomac Park (former 11Y Route) (5:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. and 3:10 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.)
Service between Mt. Vernon, Alexandria, and Potomac Park every 20 minutes. Peak direction service only.
- Peak direction is toward Washington, DC in the morning and toward Virginia in the afternoon
- The shuttle stops at several locations in Alexandria along the George Washington Parkway, including Huntington Point, Franklin Street, King Street, and Pendleton Street. In Washington, D.C., stops are near the McPherson Square Station at 14th and I Streets, NW, and near the Farragut West Station at 19th and I Streets
Buses & Trains
FREDericksburg Regional Transit (FRED) – provides daily local public transportation throughout the City of Fredericksburg, Stafford County, and Spotsylvania County. Virginia Railway Express (VRE) feeder bus service is provided by FRED from various commuter lots.
The FRED bus Fare Free Program:
• The fare-free program begins on Monday, February 28, 2022
• All FRED routes are going fare-free
• The program is funded by Department of Rail and Public Transportation through the Transit Ridership Incentive Program, support from localities, and other grants
• The program is expected to run through March 1, 2023. It will be reviewed to determine ongoing viability.
Contact 540-372-1222 or visit https://ridefred.com for specific information.
- OmniRide is PRTC’s commuter bus service. It is a comfortable and efficient commuter bus service from eastern Prince William County and the Manassas area to downtown Washington, the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn/Ballston, Capitol Hill and the Washington Navy Yard.
- Virginia Railway Express – Connects northern Virginia and Washington D.C. with commuter rail service on two lines, one from Fredericksburg and one from Manassas.
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – A regional bus and rail public transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, operating in D.C., Virginia, and Maryland.
- Metrorail System Map – Click tabs for bus or Metro map overlay or scroll down for maps in PDF format.
- Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) is a local transit service in the Richmond area, with 34 local routes; 10 express routes; 1 rapid transit line called Pulse. GRTC Pulse is a modern, high quality, high capacity rapid transit system that serves a 7.6-mile route along Broad Street and Main Street, from Rocketts Landing in the City of Richmond to Willow Lawn in Henrico County.
- Amtrak – America’s passenger rail system. Route, schedule, fare and other information is available from its website.
BWI, Dulles, Reagan and Richmond Airport Services
The following companies provide transportation service to one or more of the area airports. Some also provide service to Union Station.
- AA Lightfoot Transportation, Inc. – Call Tom Lightfoot at 540-829-0997 or visit www.lightfootlimo.com
- Belman Limousine – Call 540-899-5466 or visit www.fredericksburgairportshuttle.com
- Freddy Go2 Airports, LLC – Call 571-260-5411 or 866-677-6643 or visit www.freddygo2airports.com
- Fredericksburg Limousine – Call 888-565-3262 or visit www.fredericksburglimo.com
- ABC Limousine & Car Service – Call 703-941-4900 or visit www.limowashington.com
- Tangier Transportation & Service, LLC – Service available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call 703-474-2170 or visit www.tangiertransportation.com.
- Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour – Call 703-441-9999 or visit chopchopshuttleandtour.com
Door to Door Options
A Program Provided by Healthy Generations Area Agency on Aging
Looking for transportation options as a senior or disabled person? Transportation resources may be available to help you maintain your independence. Mobility Options can assist you in finding alternatives that you may not have considered:
• Public Transportation
• Volunteer Transportation
• Private-Pay Paratransit
• Transportation Network Companies (Uber or Lyft)
“Whether you are simply looking for information and guidance, or assistance with identifying and
accessing transportation services within your local community, make Mobility Options your first call.”
Call 540-656-2985 for more information.
Taxi Cabs and TNC’s
Taxi companies, traditionally provide door to door transportation. Today, the taxi industry is changing and many companies are offering services such as airport shuttle and package delivery service. Check out the list below to find a company that meets your needs.
Never used a TNC before? Check out these tutorials to learn how:
Bikes on Transit
Commuting with your bike?
FRED Buses are ready for you and your bike!
All FRED buses are equipped with bike racks on the front of the bus, which makes traveling with your bike on FRED easy and convenient.
VRE’s onboard bicycle policy
Collapsible bikes are permitted on all VRE trains and on all cars. Full-size bikes are permitted on some trains. Please review the complete bicycle policy here.